We are a member of LearnNowBC

Any course you complete with us is acceptable at any secondary or post secondary school in Canada. Graduates from our school receive the same Dogwood Diploma issued by any School Districtl in BC.

Updated: June 27, 2015


















































































































virtual school british columbia

Frequently Asked Questions - listed below are questions students often ask us.

How do I register for an online course?

The first step in starting an online course is to attend an orientation session and confirm your identity. We must confirm your identity because the Ministry of Education pays for the courses we offer. The ministry will not pay for courses unless students provide ID. This summer, orientations are on July 3, 4 and 8 at 9:00 AM, 1:00 PM or 7:00 PM. From September 2013 to May 2014, orientations are held most Wednesdays at Columbia Square Learning Centre at 12:30 PM and 7 PM. Please click calendar in the left menu for information about the next orientation, or phone (604) 517-6191 if you have any questions.

May I register for a course at any time during the school year?

Most online courses are available year round. However, during the summer, not all the courses are offered. To find out which courses are available and which are not, click on the Course Outlines link on the left side. Alternately, you may phone 604-517-6191 for more information.

How long does it usually take to complete a course?

Our courses follow BC Ministry of Education curriculum and learning outcomes. Courses are designed to be completed in about 120 hours of study for well-prepared students. Well prepared students have completed courses is as little as 100 hours. Those students have taken the course before.

I attended a school in another province in Canada. Can I get credit for those courses?

Yes, you can get credit for courses taken at the secondary level elsewhere in Canada as long as the courses are are similar to those offered by the BC Ministry of Education. To find out if your courses qualify, you will need to provide a copy of your transcript and then talk to a teacher.

I want to complete some courses in BC but I will be moving to another province. Will I be able to transfer my credits?

Yes, we will provide a transcript on request.

Do you provide textbooks and printed material or does the web content include everything I need to complete the course?

While some courses require a textbook that students pick up on deposit, some courses have all necessary material within the online course. If a textbook is necessary for the course, a $100 refundable deposit will be required. Some courses require work books. The cost for the workbooks are between 10 and 30 dollars depending on the course.

How can I pay for the deposit on materials or course fees?

We accept cash, Visa, MasterCard and debit cards. You must pay in person.

How do I get help with my course?

If you have questions about course material, or require individual instruction, contact your teacher by email or in person. We have a well-staffed learning centre at 1001 Columbia St. open five days a week. Teachers there are happy to help you. You don't have to make an appointment,  just drop in. However, you should check our calendar in the menu on the left. If you want to meet with a specific teacher at a specific time, it is recommended that you arrange the meeting with the teacher by email. Click on the Course Outlines link on the left side for a list of teachers' email addresses.

My course is no longer listed in BlackBoard

You may have been made inactive because you have not logged in recently. Contact your teacher.

I can not view images or equations in practice tests.

Change your browser's settings to allow pop up windows. Make sure that your Java is up to date.

How do I submit assignments for my online course?

You should complete your assignments using a word processor, such as Microsoft Word, or you can type your answers directly into the assignment submission box. After completing and saving your assignment as a document, follow the instructions provided in the course.

How do I write tests for my online course?

Most courses allow you to write the first test anywhere. All other tests must be written at either the Adult Learning Centre or if you are an NWSS student in room 183. You don't have to schedule a time. Just come in during our regular hours. Please bring photo ID.

Is my computer good enough for an online course?

To take part in an online course, you should have:
For Windows: A Pentium 4 with a 1 GHz or better and Windows XP or better. ADSL or Cable connection is required.

For Macintosh: You should have an iMac, iBook, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, or Mac Pro with 1 GHz or better and OS X 10.5.or better. You must have an ADSL or Cable connection.

Which Internet browser should I use?

We recommend that you use the latest version of Safari, Chrome or Firefox. Make sure you are using the latest version of your browser and that Java is up to date. You must make sure that Pop-up blockers are turned off. If you require assistance setting up your computer, please contact your teacher.

What score is a passing mark in our courses?

A passing grade is 50% but you should aim for at least 70% for mastery of the material.

Do I have to write the Provincial Exams?

If you are completing the 80 credit Dogwood, you MUST write the following provincial exams: Math 10, Science 10, Language Arts 10, Socials 11, Civics 11, First Nations Studies 12; Communications 12 and English 12.

If you are completing the 20 credit Adult Dogwood, the Provincial Exams are optional. If you plan on attending a post-secondary institution, we recommend that you write the English 12 Provincial Exam. If you intend on writing the Provincial Exam for any course you need to inform your teacher.

What's the difference between the Adult Dogwood and the Regular 80 Credit Dogwood?

All Post Secondary Institutions in BC accept both the Adult Dogwood and 80-Credit Dogwood as completion of Grade 12 graduation in British Columbia, including for entrance into post-secondary colleges and universities. The Adult Dogwood requires the completion of five 4-credit courses, while the 80-Credit Dogwood is usually completed by students under 19 years of age and requires completion of 20 courses.

The Adult Dogwood may be all that you need to apply to a community college or other postsecondary institution. You should check with the college or post-secondary program you plan to apply to in order to find out what prerequisite courses are required. You may have to take specific courses as part of your graduation program in order to successfully the entrance requirements for your post-secondary program. A teacher can assist you with course choices at the time you register. You may change the courses you plan with us at any time.